The student news site of Smithville High School in Smithville, Missouri

The Tribe Times

Homecoming throws it back

Rachel Wise, Staff Writer

Photo by Liam Wolfe

Homecoming King Cam Lethcoe and Queen Emily Reed have their first dance. Moments later someone cuts in and took her away from the King.

For the 150th year of homecoming, the theme was “flashback”. As usual, the school had a week to lead up to the big dance that happened last weekend, Saturday, September 16th, and the school had a week to lead up to the big dance that happened last weekend, Saturday, September 16th.

“I had a fun homecoming week this year (and) can’t wait for next year,” said Gracyn Clement, sophomore.

The days of homecoming week had a different theme where the students could dress up, and show school spirit. Monday’s theme was to dress up in black and white for movie day. Tuesday, each grade dressed up. Freshman dressed as babies, sophomores dressed as teenagers, juniors as adults, and the senior class were to dress as old people.

“Dressing up as an adult was weird; I felt like my mom, but I still had to be a student,” said Megan Sabonis, junior. “It was also funny seeing the other classes dressed differently.”

Wednesday’s theme was “Day at the Lake”, where students were able to wear hats and sunglasses. Thursday, students wore old sports jerseys, and Friday’s theme was Smithville spirit wear. Friday school released early at 12:00, for the parade that which started at 2:00.

“The parade was great,” said Kira Nixon, sophomore. “The band played phenomenally, and I feel like whoever was there had a great time.”

Later that evening at the football game, Warriors took the win 35-0 against Leblond. The entertainment for the game included a performance by the marching band.

“This show is the hardest show, there are many movements to it, the music is hard, and the kids had to memorize it fast, they are doing a great job,” said Thomas Brockman, band director.

The King, Cameron Lethcoe, and Queen, Emily Reed, shared the traditional dance the next day at the homecoming dance.  Cameron Lethcoe was crowned King, and Emily Reed, Queen.

“I couldn’t think of a girl who I would not be happy with winning,” said Emily Reed, senior. “It was such a good group, and it’s such a great way to end the homecoming season.”

It was a very big moment for both candidates who were ecstatic and honored to be crowned King and Queen.

“I was feeling pretty nervous leading up to the announcement, but I would have been okay with any one of the guys winning, so I would have been happy regardless of the outcome,” said Camden Lethcoe, senior.

Save

Save

Photo by Liam Wolfe